Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cold Blanket

My mother-in-law made my husband a blanket many years ago. It has donkeys on it. The kids call it the "cold blanket." I lovingly refer to it as the "ass blanket." The kids love it because of the cold feeling it has. I'm told it was made from sheets. My husband told his mom about how the kids fight over it a couple of years ago and she decided to make them all their own cold blanket. She even made us one for our bed as a 10 year anniversary present.

Growing up I didn't really have any grandparently grandparents, if that makes sense? My husband did tho and one of his grandmothers made him a blanket. He still has it and cherishes it dearly. I think it's older than I am! Seeing how my husband loves this blanket makes me think our kids will always cherish theirs. It gave me such a warm fuzzy when my MIL made them. I also know how rough doing projects like that are on her now. I know she made them out of love and they're just so super special.

I had to put the blanket away that my husband's grandmother made. It was just getting too tattered. He would still sleep with it if he could.

I forgot to mention that the kid's blankets even have their names on them. Also, they still fight over Daddy's cold blanket!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this post, I actually have tears in my eyes.

    The blanket my grandma made me was ruined because it was used to move furniture, so my mom gave me the one that grandma Bisbee made for her and daddy.

    I guess all grandparents are different, they all show their love in different ways. Probably you will be the only one who understands what I am about to say: some people don't really know HOW to SHOW love. They just love you and that's all. In "their" generation, they weren't touchy-feely, and they never were told that they were loved so they don't know really how to tell YOU that. Since they knew they were loved (at least I think!), they expect you to just know that they love you. Like I mentioned before, Winter, you will probably be the only one who knows what I am talking about here. But I do hope you do know that you are loved. Your children are loved beyond words; maybe it being "beyond words" is the reason you don't hear much about it. ;) some show love by making things and baking things, and some show love by just being there in that big chair when you need someone to talk to. But you are right, there's a LOT of love in those blankets, all of them, and it's her biggest thrill on Earth to know that they love and appreciate them :) now I need a Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith always amazed me. She can do everything..cook, sew, swing a hammer. She was like a second mother to me growing up. You are so lucky to have her for a MIL. Give her a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the ass blanket :P I also love the term "cold blanket" as odd as that sounds, it fits.

    ReplyDelete