Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Last First Field Trip

My youngest, my BABY, had his first field trip today! I know I'm going to have a lifetime of "firsts", but with him it's always so bittersweet because it's the last first. When he learned to walk, it was the last time one of MY children would take their first steps. When he started school this year, it was the last very first day of school I would experience with MY children. I understand now that there is so much more to "the baby" then just birth order.

I'm not sure when I realized it, but one day I just did. I realized that it seemed like everything he did was SO cute, even when he was NOT being cute. I realized that I babied him more. I KNEW that he was it. He was my last one. I KNEW that once he wasn't a baby anymore, that was it! I don't think parents can help themselves. I think it happens without us knowing it. One day it just hit me that he was a little fibber, and blamed stuff at the drop of a hat on his siblings, and could turn on the tears like a switch, and he played me like a fiddle!

I must admit that once I realized it things started to change. I know now that half of what comes out of his mouth is not true and I investigate more. I know now that just because he's crying doesn't mean someone else had something to do with it. Of course while I'm admitting things I should say that he still plays me like a fiddle and he really is so darn cute! I just can't help it!! He's my BABY!

In most cases I would guess that your youngest is the last to leave the nest. The last one who NEEDS mommy. The last one that squeaks. My husband always says, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I don't have any children that have left the nest, but I imagine that when there is just one left, I may allow him to squeak a little longer. More than likely it'll be "the baby".

As one of the oldest children in my family, I know that his siblings will notice that "the baby" gets treated just a little different. But as a parent, I know that I just can't help it.


We had a wonderful last first field trip. It was his first time to ride a bus. I think that might have been his favorite part!

No comments:

Post a Comment