Thursday, January 27, 2011

I'm not a soccer mom.

I've never been a soccer mom, but that's only because I'm a baseball mom and the seasons are basically at the same time. This will be my 9th season as a baseball mom. When my oldest was younger he wanted to play soccer until he realized he wouldn't be able to play baseball. So he passed. All of my children play, or have played, baseball. My daughter played softball for about half a season and decided she didn't like it. She wanted to play baseball with the boys. So the next season that's what we did. I'm not sure if she even lasted half way through that season. Baseball just wasn't her thing, but the boys love it. Some more so than others of course.

My daughter started taking gymnastics a little over a year ago and REALLY loves it. My little boys showed interest in it too, so they now also take gymnastics. My second son plays baseball, but isn't "passionate" about it. I think he just does it cause his big brother does. He has however become passionate about gymnastics. And he's SO good at it. He has the perfect little skinny body for it too! The 4 year old more has the body of a line backer, but he's loving the little Tiny Tumblers class he's in.

My oldest son now plays middle school basketball too. It's his second favorite sport and weather permitting he will be outside shooting hoops. I'm having a major issue with his coach though and am wondering if I just haven't been around the sport enough to know how it works.

You see I am not one of those parents that screams and yells at their kids, and refs, and the coach or whatever. I will holler at my 5 year old to pay attention if he is playing in the dirt, but for the most part I let the coach do the yelling of instructions. If you've ever played sports you know the last thing you want to listen to is your parents yelling instructions at you. And if you've ever sat in the stands with these parents you know how hard it is to not tell them to shut up! My husband coached for the first time last year (undefeated!) and there was rare occasion when a parent thought they new better than him. You have to let the coach coach!

So here's my issue. My son hasn't played basketball on a team his whole life. Middle school is his first experience on a team. Now granted I haven't made it to ALL of his games, but his last game of the season is tonight and I STILL have not seen him play! He told me he did get to play for about 40 seconds at an away game one time, but I wasn't there. It seems to me that this coach plays the same 5 boys almost the ENTIRE game. You can tell these boys are just exhausted by the end of the game. There are 12 boys on the team. They had tryouts and these 12 boys made the team. My son was one of them. I understand he may not be as good as some of these boys who have played their whole lives, especially when playing against another team, but how is he supposed to improve if he never gets and opportunity to play!? There is a big difference between practicing with your teammates and playing against another team!

If my son has ever complained I've told him to just be there when he is called up and be ready to do your best. Don't whine to coach. Just do your best and play hard in practice and be there when it is your turn to play. I just don't agree with the way this coach works. The kids are always nervous when they first start playing real games, but they can't shake that unless they get some experience. 

Anywho, next year he will be in high school, OH WOW, and hopefully he will have a different coach and get to actually play. 

Sign ups for baseball are this weekend. I'm SO ready! AND I'm SO glad my husband won't be coaching this year! He really loved it, but missed so many of the kid's games that he wasn't the coach for. ALSO, him being a coach means a bit of work for me, and I'll pass thank you. He's going to be coordinating the instructional league this year, we'll see how much work that entails from me.

While I've got your ear, or eyes, I would like to make a request. If your child plays a sport and you are asked to volunteer at the concession stand or something, PLEASE do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment