Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Feeling Discouraged

Even tho Wed. is my "day off" this time of year because we don't play ball, it was anything but a day off.

It started pretty normal, but then my hubby had a flat, so that was fun. Then he left for work, toting one kiddo to school, and then I finished getting ready and getting the other 3 ready for school. But then I heard the goat alerting that the dog had gotten out of the fence. So I had to figure out where that occurred and fix it before we could leave to pick up my nephew on the way to school.

I got the kids to school and went to work and everything was pretty normal. A fairly busy day that went by pretty quick. After work I went to pick out some invitations for a baby shower I'm throwing and then went to pick the kids up from school. I cracked the windows on this hot humid day and went in to get my Pre-Ker. While in the school the thunder started and the skies opened up. Therefore my truck got rained in, but it wasn't too bad. So I got my 3 younger kiddos, went home to get the oldest boy and took him for a haircut. Then me and 4 kiddos hit the grocery store and then went home and cooked dinner. By the time my hubby got home it was time for me to leave for a PTO meeting at the school. When I got in the car I took a deep breath and kinda felt like it was the first time I had stopped moving. It was nice!

My children go to the school that I went to. I personally think it is a wonderful school with some wonderful teachers. I am involved in any way I can be. It's a troubled school tho. Not troubled as in it's a bad school, it's troubled because of it's location and circumstances. Mostly I believe it's because there have been a number of new schools built pretty close by that have stolen the students. The numbers are SO low. I believe we are actually in risk of being merged with one of the newer schools. I so don't want that to happen! There are so many reasons why, but I'll spare you all that.

The main problem now is we are having trouble getting parents involved. It's not a lack of trying let me assure you. And it's not that we don't have any involvement. In fact they'll send just about anything to school for a teacher appreciation luncheon, etc. It's getting people to step up and be officers on the PTO board that we are having issues with. Getting parents to be in charge and chair and event, etc. The same few ladies have been handling  everything and they just aren't willing to do it anymore. I am one of those ladies. I will TOTALLY be involved, but I just can't commit to be an officer. I believe it will all work it's self out, but tonight I'm discouraged.

I don't want to end up saying "Okay, I'll be PTO President" because no one else will, knowing that I don't have the time to commit to it 100%. It takes a team and our team has just gotten so small and worn out.

I know some of you reading this will know exactly what/who I'm talking about. I SO appreciate all of our wonderful volunteers and especially those that have stepped up to be officers and chair committees/events, but I just can't do it next year and not ONE person has stepped forward. So maybe I'm discouraged and feeling guilty.

Well, I thought blogging would be therapeutic and help, but I'm not feeling any better yet. So I guess I'll just get to work on the invitations and look forward to a new day tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. It will all work out - it always does - just not always in the way we hope it will.
    I knew exactly what you were referring to when I read your title to your latest blog on FB. It was a discouraging meeting tonight.
    It may not be the same as usual next year but maybe a little shake-up will prompt some more parents to step up.
    You love your kids and it shows and they know!
    Don't over-commit cuz you gotta be there for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Lisa! We sure will miss you next year! I wasn't joking about calling you for posters, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete