Monday, April 25, 2011

Tornadoes Scare Me

Okay, I admit it, I may freak out a little bit when there is a tornado threat. I have a good reason thought. At least I think it's a good reason.

You see, 14 years ago I was in an F4 tornado. I had NO idea until it was over. Many people lost their lives. I'm sure lots of them knew it was coming and tried to take cover. I had NO idea and was SO lucky to be okay. I guess I'm afraid that was my one freebie.

Let me share the story.
I was extremely preggers with my first child. He was due on Feb 23 and it was March 1. My husband was at work. I was at my in laws house. We were all being lazy and chilling. No tv, no radio. Then the chain of events began.

I was laying down resting and I heard this noise, it sounded like a truck gearing down on the freeway. We were near the freeway so this wasn't that odd. It didn't stop though and actually got louder. I got up and went to the kitchen. While standing at the sink looking out the window I noticed pink stuff falling out of the sky. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. Then the phone rang. It was my husband. He said there was a tornado reported heading down the road we lived on. Then the call dropped. Everything suddenly clicked and we hurried under the house. By this time the tornado had of course already passed. As we were heading under the house you could see pieces of other houses in the yard and shingles had already been ripped off of our house. That strange noise I heard was the tornado! That pink stuff was insulation out of someone's house! It was an F4 tornado!!!

My son was born exactly a week later. I have the paper from the day he was born. The front page, a week later, was still covered in tornado damage. There was a terrible outbreak that day that took many lives.

I like to think my family understands why I get a little paranoid and freaked out. But just in case they don't, this is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment